The heat is on for Portland’s growing homeless community…
Already this summer, we’ve been scorched by some long stretches of very hot days. Sweltering heat hits hard for men, women and children already struggling without food and shelter. Not just the literal heat that comes with the rising summertime temperatures here in the Rose City, but financial heat and pressure that comes with …
- continued struggle with unemployment and underemployment
- inadequate resources to meet the growing need for safe shelter
- deep concerns that homelessness in Portland continues to grow, especially among women and families with children
Summer is always a trying time. We see the homeless population actually grow during Portland’s longer days and warmer weather. With all the outdoor activities and summer festivals, drug and alcohol abuse is more “in your face.” When street numbers surge, we have great opportunities to connect with men and women who live on the streets, but our resources are stretched. Cash donations drop by almost 50% compared with the rest of the year.
At the same time, the long lines of people we serve each day continues – up 1600 more meals each month since a couple years ago!
At the Mission, we help anyone who comes through our doors, extending the compassion and hope of Jesus Christ. We are able to provide this ministry because of your support. We receive no government funding for our meal and shelter ministry to homeless guests or for our addiction recovery ministry.
Your midsummer gift today will help us offer a place of rest and safety …
- a kind word and a listening ear
- help with the essentials of life that restore dignity and hope
- a path for a searching soul to be restored through our recovery programs
It may be just enough for another day, but we pray it will be an open door to making a life-changing decision for someone this summer.
Thanks for joining us as we give hope and restore life this summer: PortlandRescueMission.org/HOT.
Grateful for you,