Being homeless in the summer is no vacation. For people living on the streets, life is a constant threat of dehydration, heat stroke, hunger, sickness and violence. There’s no rest, only survival. There’s little dignity, only despair.
Thanks to generous supporters like you, we have a chance to meet these urgent needs and give hope to people who are struggling. We’ve expanded our summer services over the years to include life-saving, life-restoring care like:
- Extra shelter (94 extra floor mats normally only used in winter) now provided all summer long!
- Air-conditioned Guest Care Center to help people escape the heat
- Water and snacks available during extremely hot days
- Daily activities and connection to area resources for health care, legal help and housing assistance
- 24/7 restrooms to help men and women maintain dignity
- Daily showers and clean clothing to maintain hygiene
- Breakfast and dinner every day, plus lunch on weekends
- Chapel services to share love and encouragement with hurting, lonely people
- Mail service to help people receive important communication
- Invitation to life-restoring programs to help with housing, employment, accountability support, life skills training, addiction recovery and spiritual growth.
“I went a couple weeks without a shower and a few days without food,” Gordon remembers. As an army veteran, he knew how to rough it. But being homeless for months on end took a brutal toll on his pride. Summertime heat left him dirty, smelly and ashamed. It was tough to ask for help.
Gordon is so grateful to have joined our year-long recovery program for men. “I was definitely grateful for a shower,” he says. “I don’t deserve it—having laundry, a bed and everything. It’s a lot less stressful not having to worry about all of that while I’m here. I couldn’t ask for more.”
More than anything Gordon is glad to leave his old life behind. “Before I came here, I was a liar, a cheat and a thief. I didn’t know God or care about anybody,” he says. “Now I choose honesty over anything. Portland Rescue Mission gave me a chance to change.”
Summertime is when donations drop to their lowest. Your support today will keep our programs going strong!
Check out our Summer Newsletter HERE: